Thursday, September 03, 2009

For conservatives, is the GOP really the lesser of two evils?

I've actually asked myself the same question, though not a conservative and leaning libertarian when it comes to federal issues, I end up supporting more Democratic candidates than Republicans. I found the article written by Kris Wampler, For conservatives, is the GOP really the lesser of two evils? to be an interesting read. A small part of it:
A common justification among (real) conservatives and libertarians for voting for the Republican Party is that the GOP is "the lesser of two evils." I can't count the many times I've been told this. Sure, I'm told, the Republican Party is moderate and regularly betrays its alleged principles. But hey, at least they're not leftist Democrats!

How valid is this assertion? It's true that the Democratic Party and all it stands for is evil and wrong. However, at least the Democrats are fairly honest about their hatred of freedom. They don't hide their contempt for individual rights and unnatural affection for the State.

I of course don't agree that the Democratic Party is evil and wrong, and that they hate freedom, but? Read Wampler's piece and draw your own conclusions.

No comments: