Saturday, February 07, 2009

Commentary: Libertarian ideas to stimulate economy

CNN doesn't often provide commentary from what is stated to be a Libertarian point of view, so I was a bit surprised to see a commentary by Jeffrey A. Miron on their website the other day. Considering I balance between leaning Libertarian when it comes to fiscal issues yet still being liberal when it comes to social issues, at times it can create some internal conflict. Some of the suggestions by Miron create that conflict for me, though I do understand and appreciate where his point of view is coming from.

I recommend reading the article in full, the list by title:

Repeal the Corporate Income Tax
Increase Carbon Taxes While Lowering Marginal Tax Rates
Moderate the Growth of Entitlements
Eliminate Wasteful Spending
Withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan
Limit Union Power
Renew the U.S. Commitment to Free Trade
Expand Legal Immigration
Stop Bailing out Businesses that Took on Too Much Risk

No comments: