Sunday, May 11, 2008

Live and let live to a point...

I'm not an anti-bug person and I try to be a live and let live person when it comes to the variety of wasps, bees, etc., that come into activity this time of year. Yet we discovered that carpenter bees were trying to set up shop behind some of the vinyl shutters we have on the house as we were getting ready for a party to be held here.

Since they do cause damage by boring holes into the wood, it was necessary to kill the few we found and to re-seal around the shutters so that more did not appear. While they look large and mean and are very agressive in protecting their terrority I've been told that the larger males do not have stingers. I did not attempt to test this out though...I'm allergic to bees and even if I wasn't? I'm not that adventuresome when it comes to wanting to learn certain things first hand...

No comments: